Wednesday, February 29, 2012

W8- O'Beaty's Review

On our trip to O'Beaty's I unfortunately did not eat anything. I've had O'Beaty's before and really enjoyed it, but on the day that we went as a class I just wasn't hungry at all; and a hot dog was about the furthest thing away from what I would've wanted to eat. I say that because on the day we went I had to pull a near-all-nighter the night before and had only woke up an hour before we were supposed to eat. So for the basis of this blog I will talk about my prior experiences at O'Beaty's and what I thought of the food.

I remember the first time that I went into O'Beaty's fairly vividly for a few reasons, but I will start off with what I ate and how it was. I'd never been to the Union St. O'Beaty's that we went to and my only two experiences with the restaurant were at the original West State St. venue. The first thing that stood out when I went into O'Beaty's was the same thing that stuck out when we went as a class to the Union St. version.

The decorations at the original restaurant are all autographed pictures of celebrities, pictures of places all over the U.S. with a lot of New Orleans as the focal point, and some Burlesque-style pictures and other decorations fill the restaurant. I really like all of the autographed pictures of celebrities (even if most are of B-list and lower). Both restaurants have a very New Orleans feel to them because of all the peppers on the sign out front and in the restaurant; I guess it's really the Cajun style that I'm picking up on.

Finally to the food though, which is pretty good stuff if I do say so myself. You would think that there's nothing really that special about a hot dog restaurant; I mean it's just such a basic food that's kind of hard to make unique, but there are a few restaurants like O'Beaty's that have been able to do just this. Skyline Chilli in Cincinnati is probably my favorite hot dogs that I could ever get- well and of course Mom's, but O'Beaty's is definitely up there with those two. The first time I went there I had a Cajun Dog and Cajun Fries. You'd think that would be too much spice to be enjoyable, but I just can't get enough spice in my foods so I really enjoyed the food anyway. The bad part though is what happened after I ate.

I'll just start this story by saying that O'Beaty's should have a credit/debit card scanner- they may now, but they didn't when this happened. So, after I ate I tried to pay with my debit card, too which the employee told me I'd have to get cash. He let me go to an ATM at this point without leaving anything behind for collateral. Well it just so happened that I had $19 in my account, so I couldn't withdraw money since it was under $20. And it was at this point that I dine-and-dashed; something that I never thought I would do. I felt so horrible the rest of the day for doing this, but thankfully I was getting paid the next day and returned to pay my debt. So now you know the tale of how I accidentally dine-and-dashed; a tale that my friends still get a kick out of.

No comments:

Post a Comment