Wednesday, February 8, 2012

W5- Our Fast Food Nation

When I was a kid I loved fast food. Wendy's was where it was at for me, where I would always have my Mom get me 10 nuggets and a frosty. Mom would always let me get this meal once or twice a week, and because I was a very picky eater as a child this was always the "meal" i got. I would never want to venture into vegetable territory and not even touch beef products. Cheese pizza from Pizza Hut was the other kind of restaurant food that I would get, but eventually moved on to pepperoni at about 8-years-old. So in my young years it was all Wendy's and Pizza Hut, but my Mom got in to the Beanie Baby craze in the late 90's so McDonalds became a normal stop when they started to have the toys in the happy meals. Needless to say because of all of this fast food I was kind of a chubby kid, and because of this wanted to get out of the fast food craze of my youth and develop into a healthier eater.

Some time around 16 I wanted to stop eating garbage fast food and began only eating cooked meals that my Mom would make. So, in the time between my Sophomore year of high school until college I rarely ate fast food and it wasn't till some of these poor years of college that I began eating fast food again. I worked at Pizza Hut for awhile in college and began eating there a lot, but when this was happening I started to get a little chubby again and quite eating the pizza there.

Nowadays I eat fast food here and there, but never to an extreme amount. I think I've seen Food Inc. and Supersize Me a couple times a piece, so I really have been taught from those and from personal experience what fast food can do to my body.

As for the second part of the blog, I haven't been to too many different countries, but the one I have been to many times is Canada. In Canada, fast food restaurants are kind of the same as here in America, but they seem to be much more spread out. Obviously Canada doesn't have the same structure as America in terms of urban areas and people per area, so this makes sense that fast food chains would be more spread out throughout the country. One difference that I noticed the last time that I was up north was that many of the McDonalds and Wendy's had healthy alternatives that I've never seen here in America. I can't exactly remember the foods that were on the menus, just the heading of healthy choices at a few places we went to. The only other thing that really is different about Canada compared to America is that there are a ton of Tim Horton's. I'm fairly certain that Tim Horton's started in Canada so it makes sense that it is the most popular chain up there, and I must say I love Tim Horton's, with Ice Cap's & donuts being amazing and even the lunch foods being great. The turkey subs have some kind of sauce on it that is absolutely amazing and I would love to have one for dinner right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment