Wednesday, January 11, 2012

W1- Remembering Home

In my home there really aren't a ton of foods that have been passed down through the years. A few things that I can think of are Broccoli Casserole and something that as a child I always called "The Stuff". Now broccoli casserole is kind of a shame-based food because obviously broccoli is supposed to be a healthy food choice, but when it is smothered in Velveeta cheese and topped with a whole sleeve of Ritz crackers it really defeats the purpose of eating broccoli. For a long time this is the only way that I would eat broccoli, but I've snapped out of my childish picky eating phase and now like broccoli by itself or with slaw dressing (Note: the word "slaw" may be the most awful sounding word in the English language). 

"The Stuff"- an amazing dish that my Mom has made since my middle school years. All of my friends that have came to my house over the years and had the privilege of eating "the stuff" have loved it. My best friend Aaron is in the army now and every time he comes home he has me tell my mom to make "the stuff". This has became a tradition throughout the last three years that Aaron has been in the military, possibly making this a kind of situation where this is something he needs when he comes home.

Okay so "the stuff" is what I've always called this dish that my Mom makes, but last year I found out exactly what the dish is called. What it actually is is just a simple recipe called chicken tetrazzini. So, the actually name of "the stuff" was revealed to me, and I must say I was kind of disappointed by it being a simple recipe that is known to many people. Although I was disappointed to find this out, there were a few extra ingredients that my Mom puts specially into her version of chicken tetrazzini. A simple brown sugar and melted butter mix is added into my Mom's recipe, but it makes all the difference in why hers is much better then any other chicken tetrazzini I could ever have. One more thing thanks to my Mom is that she taught me how to make this meal and I can gladly say that I can make this family tradition meal myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment